Utah-Idaho Mission Stories
September 3-10, 2023
This year’s State Missions Offering (SMO) celebrates our stories impacted by your giving through this offering. The SMO is used to share the gospel on our college campuses. It provides training for Disaster Relief ministries, preparing our DR volunteers when called on to serve in the name of Christ to those in critical need. The SMO story provides equipping for pastors and laymen preaching God’s Word in our pulpits through the Preacher School and it provide resources for Strengthening Churches ministries. Through our SMO, we equip and encourage UISBC women, including pastor’s wives, as they so faithfully serve in vital ministry roles in our churches. Your gifts through the State Missions Offering infuses the gospel into the stories of those who call Idaho and Utah home each year.
Together, we can make a difference as we partner in praying, giving, and sharing, as we seek to expand God’s kingdom right here at home!
Thank you Utah-Idaho Southern Baptists!
The Great Commission calls us is to share the gospel with everyone across Idaho and Utah, to start new churches where the gospel is being sown, and to strengthen all of our churches to His glory. As we enter this time of prayer and offering, we are reminded we serve a great God who is at work in our midst and desires to work through us in great ways to reach our mission field!
The State Missions Offering provides funds for special mission projects and supports our churches, missionaries, and ministries throughout Idaho and Utah. Your gifts stay in our state convention to help existing churches, start new churches, mobilize Disaster Relief volunteers, support ethnic work, provide outreach on college campuses, and provide funds for many churches for their outreach and church strengthening events. One hundred percent of this offering is utilized in Utah and Idaho.
2023 State Missions Offering Breakdown
Our State Missions Offering was formerly known as the York-Dillman State Missions Offering and now you know ‘the rest of the story!’ In 1887, Rev. J.B. York arrived in Clearwater, ID and planted a church in a log cabin schoolhouse. The first work in Utah began when Harold Dillman and his wife, Opal, helped plant a church in Roosevelt in 1944. As a result of these early church starting efforts, many more churches were started, leading to the formation of the Utah-Idaho Southern Baptist Convention in October 1964. Today, approximately 200 congregations meet weekly in our two states speaking in thirteen different languages!
- Our Disaster Relief Shower Trailer supports missions teams who come to assist our churches.
- Churches open their doors for Disaster Relief training and events so members are trained and ready for disasters.
- Pray we see the need to have people ready to serve. The ministry of DR is to share Christ with all, especially during a crisis. Don’t pray for a disaster, just pray that Utah-Idaho Disaster Relief volunteers will go when called.
- SMO allocation to college ministry is vital to our strategic efforts to reach campuses with no gospel witness.
- Three of the most unreached college campuses in North America are located in our convention.
- Your SMO dollars help us seek to start ministries where they are needed most.
- Most of our college campus leaders are either volunteers or self-funded collegiate missionaries.
- Your gifts provide travel reimbursement for national events and meetings. There is also a stipend gift available when these missionaries share stories of evangelism and discipleship taking place on their campuses. These stories are shared on UI Connections and through Baptist Press to promote the ministry taking place on our college campuses.
- Please pray for how you can give more to support this vital mission field through the State Missions Offering.
- Salt Lake School of Theology had more than 20 students from various churches taking seminary courses this past semester. These are servant leaders being equipped for ministry right here.
- The Spring Colloquium with Dr. Stephen Wellum had over 100 students, pastors, and laymen attend the lecture series on the Glories of Christ. SMO funds help underwrite this event.
- Pray for our students as they study Christian Theology 1 and 2 and begin to embark on their Theological Field Education with their local churches.
- Pray for God to continue to bless the Salt Lake School of Theology to equip pastoral residents with seminary courses, help faithful Christians grow in their knowledge of God and His Word, and encourage Pastors with theological refreshment.
- Pray that churches and individual believers would be burdened to give to the Salt Lake School of Theology Scholarship Fund to offset the cost of tuition for local students.
- Pray that God would use the school to train men and women to serve the church for the glory of God in this part of the Intermountain West.
- Castle Country Pregnancy Resource Center received a grant to purchase an educational resource to help women facing an unplanned pregnancy with information to make right choices.
- The director said this resource is an invaluable blessing and would not have been possible without this State Missions Offering gift.
- Pray “For Jesus to be seen in everything we do And for the monthly funds we need to operate.”
- Emmanuel Baptist Church, Hyrum, Utah received funds to assist in holding their 25th annual Friendship Luncheon for women in their area.
- Rachel Woody, Women’s Ministry leader, shared that several new precious families have joined because of last year’s event. Two have been baptized who first learned of the church through this event.
- Pray for wisdom, encouragement, and strength for Rachel Woody and other Women’s Ministry leaders as they share the gospel, teach, and disciple women.
- Preacher School prepares laymen to preach. God has raised up pastors, church planters, supply preachers, and Bible study teachers with sharper skills.
- Faithful partners, including our State Missions Offering, Eastern Idaho Baptist Association, and churches provide Preacher School participants with free housing and meals for the session.
- Pray for the pastors across our two states we are training and for continued support through Salmon Valley BC, their partners, and State Missions Offering gifts.